“Teaching and learning in our Catholic schools involves more that providing academic instruction. It is about nurturing the individual - academically, spiritually, emotionally, physically - equipping students with lifelong skills to become compassionate and contributing adults,” Dr Cathy Day
All school staff play a significant role in a whole-of-school approach to valuing the uniqueness and diversity of each student. By providing a safe and supportive environment that responds to individual needs, all students can engage with the curriculum.
Townsville Catholic Education Office is committed to supporting and educating each and every student to his or her potential in a standard educational setting. Through the use of inclusive practices, we create an environment which supports and nurtures all students.
The Learning Framework developed by the Townsville Catholic Education Office also provides direction for all who work with students in our schools. Fundamental to teaching and learning are the following beliefs about learners and learning:
- We support increasing flexibility to accommodate individual learning needs, because we believe in recognising the uniqueness of the individual learner.
- We support learning activities that engage student interest and motivation, because we believe that learners are the centre of the curriculum.
- We seek ways to extend appropriate learning opportunities beyond existing boundaries, because we believe in developing the potential of every learner.
- We accommodate diversity so that cultural and individual differences do not compromise learning opportunities, because we believe in equity.
- We proclaim that Jesus gives meaning to life and learning, because we believe in Jesus as the way, the truth and the life.
- We support learning environments that sustain positive relationships particularly between teachers and students, because we believe people are our most valuable learning resource. (Learning Framework, 2015 - 2019)
“I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10)
Ernie Christie: Director - Learning, Teaching and Catholic Identity
Bernard Durie: Curriculum Adviser
Jodie Davey: Curriculum Adviser
Megan Wuersching: Curriculum Adviser