STATEMENT OF POLICY
We are committed to providing a safe and equitable environment for all involved with Catholic Education in the Diocese, within the framework of our Catholic faith tradition.
This policy addresses Catholic Education’s commitment to provide equal opportunity to all staff who engage in our education ministry.
The Catholic Church has a rich tradition of social teaching on justice, equality and human rights. As Christians, we believe in the essential dignity of each person.
Our Christian approach to equity has its basis in the liberating practice of Jesus who deliberately opposed the power structures of his day to form an inclusive community.
He espoused the supreme value of love for one’s neighbour with justice and a forgiving heart. “So always treat others as you would like them to treat you: that is the meaning of the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 6:12) Under Commonwealth and State legislation, employers have an obligation to promote equal opportunity and address discrimination in the workplace.
With the gospel values of love, justice and reconciliation as its driving force, the Townsville Catholic Education Office will:
- Implement equal opportunity in the workplace.
- Develop, implement and review policies, procedures and practices consistent with equal opportunity principals in relation to recruitment and employment matters.
- Ensure equitable access to career development and activities for all staff.
- Address complaints and breaches of recruitment and employment policies in accordance with Townsville Catholic Education’s procedures.
- Comply with all relevant legislation pertaining to equal opportunity employment and antidiscrimination practices.
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (Qld)
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Commonwealth)
- Workplace Gender Equity Act 2012 (Commonwealth)
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Commonwealth)
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Commonwealth)
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Commonwealth)
- Fair Work Act 2009 (Commonwealth)
Queensland Catholic Education Commission
- A Guide to Develop a Framework for Staff Formation in Catholic Schools in Queensland (August 2012)
- Formation for Staff Members in Catholic Schools (February 2010)
National Catholic Education Commission
- Toward Gender Equity in Catholic Education (1996)
|Policy Number||DEC 02_15||Date originally accepted||---|
|Approved by||Diocesan Education Council||Date Updated||12 May, 2015|