Copyright Compliance Resources for Schools
Please refer below for a number of links to Townsville Catholic Education Office Copyright documentation. These documents are designed to support schools in the implementation of procedures that will assist the school and its staff to meet their Copyright Compliance obligations. Additional fact sheets about Copyright issues can be downloaded from the Smartcopying website.
Smartcopying is the official site for information about Copyright for Australian schools. It provides:
- The National Copyright Guidelines for schools and TAFEs
- Practical information sheets and FAQs on hot topics like using Youtube, iTunes, podcasts, format shifting and other uses of copyrighted materials in the digital environment.
- Interactive audio visual resources for teaching copyright in the classroom.
- Practical information on Open Education, Free for Education and Creative Commons resources, including an extensive database of CC websites.
Remembering the five L's can also help schools to manage the risks and costs associated with using other people's content:
- Look for Open Education Resources and use those as much as possible.
- Link instead of copying whenever this is an option.
- Limit the number of copies to what is actually needed for educational purposes.
- Label the content with the details of its author, owner, source and the basis on which you are copying it.
- Later delete or archive the content once you no longer require it for educational purposes. (Flushing)
Download and read the Copyright Compliance Manual for additional information on the five L's.
Additional Tip: Access thousands of copyright free and open education resources from:
- Your school library's Destiny Discover OER search.