In meditation we must collect ourselves together. We remember who we are, where we are, and why we are. It allows our students to find peace in their lives, bringing attention to ourselves, to others, to the world around us and to God.
Tips on how to practice simplicity in our lives
- Buy things for their usefulness rather than their status or prestige
- Learn the difference between a real need and an addiction. Then find support and accountability to regain freedom from addiction.
- Develop a habit of giving things away.
- Avoid unnecessary and short-lived technological gadgets that promise to 'save time'.
- Enjoy things without owning them; for example, take advantage of public libraries and parks.
- Nurture awe and appreciation for nature. Spend more time outdoors!
- Get out - and stay out - of debt.
- Use plain, honest speech. Say what you mean and keep your commitments.
- Reject anything that oppresses others. For example, buy fair trade products and shop at local farmers markets.
- Seek love, justice and peace, foremost. If anything distracts you from that purpose, let it go.