Application Assistance

How to apply

To apply for a position with Townsville Catholic Education Office, you will need to register with our Careers On-line Service.   Simply find the position of interest, select the vacancy and click on “Download Info Pack” to access further information in relation to each role. When you are ready to lodge you application, click on “Apply for Job”.   If you have not created an account previously, you will be prompted to create a login account to keep track of your applications.

Teaching Accreditation

Every permanent teacher is required to have either Accreditation to Teach Religion in a Catholic School or Accreditation to Teach in a Catholic School.

 Supply/Relief Teaching

If you are interested in relief or supply teaching, it is important to create an on-line profile for these positions. This on-line registration enables Principals to source relief staff from a pool of suitable applicants.   You will be prompted to update your availability at the end of each school year and our office will require you to have completed this process prior to employment as a relief teacher. Click here to register and for further information. 

 Senior Leadership

Vacancies for senior positions in our diocese are usually advertised on-line or in the Saturday edition of the Australian and other national newspapers as appropriate.   Please read the guidelines for preparing and presenting an application for a Senior Leadership Position. 

 More detailed information on our online application form for Senior Leadership positions can be found by clicking here. 

Office and Corporate Services

When applying for a position with Townsville Catholic Education Office you should consider the Selection Criteria (if applicable). You should address and meet each selection criteria as listed in the advertisement. 

Further Information

The contact person listed in the job information page can provide more information about the position.  You may like to telephone or email the contact person to discuss job requirements in more detail.

 When you can expect to hear from us

After applying online you will receive an immediate email acknowledgement that your application has been received. Applicants will generally be notified of the initial outcome of their application within two weeks of the application closing date.

Late applications

Late applications will be accepted at the discretion of the selection panel.

If you are shortlisted for an interview

You will be contacted by our staff if you are selected for an interview. We will provide information on the format of the interview. In some instances, we may require you to undertake a practical assessment to demonstrate your skills and the ability to perform the tasks of the position. Referee checks are carried out post-interview for the Chair of the Interview Panel to make their recommendation to the Executive Director.  

 Eligibility to work in Australia

Townsville Catholic Education has a legal obligation to ensure that all staff that is engaged are checked to ensure that they are an Australian citizen or have appropriate work entitlements. Under the legislation it is not sufficient to ask a person if they are an Australian citizen. Therefore you will be required to provide evidence of your eligibility to work in Australia.  



Do I have to be a Catholic to work or teach in a Catholic School in the Townsville Diocese?

It is important to TCEO that the Catholic identity and ‘ethos' of each school is maintained. This is assisted by having as many committed Catholics as possible on the staff. However, people who are not Catholics but who would feel at home in a Catholic school environment and who would support the school's ethos by word and deed are welcome to apply for positions.

 Do I need to be already living in the region to be considered for a position?

No, we appoint people from all around Australia and overseas, if they are the best person for the vacant role.

Can I submit an application after the closing date?

We will accept applications after the closing date, but you will not be guaranteed an interview.

 Teaching and Supply/Relief Teaching

 What are the requirements to apply as a teacher with Townsville Catholic Education?

You must be registered or eligible for registration with the Queensland College of Teachers. Other requirements are detailed in the application package, which may be accessed from the Vacancies section of our website.

 Do I need to have qualifications to teach Religious Education?

To teach Religious Education in a Catholic school, teachers need to be accredited to teach Religion. To gain this accreditation, teachers are required to complete the equivalent of four semester units of study in areas of theology, spirituality, Catholic education or religious education. Teachers are usually given provisional accreditation to teach Religious Education provided they undertake to gain full accreditation within five years of being appointed. Further information can be found on in the Accreditation to Teach section of this website

 How can I register as a teacher looking for employment, or register for supply teaching?

You can register for information by submitting your details online.

 Do I need to be accredited if I only want to do a few days supply teaching every so often?

No, not if you work as a supply teacher only (ie you are employed on an intermittent basis to relieve a teacher absent from work or to meet a short term staffing need)

 If I do not yet have my Qld College of Teachers' Registration am I still able to register with you?

Yes and you will need to indicate that your registration is pending.

 Do I need to re-apply for full time employment after having only applied for supply?

There is no need to re-apply. If you have not indicated full-time work on your application you will have to contact us to change your preference.

 Do I have to register for teaching in Queensland if I have registration in another Australian state or in another country?

Registration with the Queensland College of Teachers is a requirement of employment. Some states have mutual recognition and the actual registration should not take too long to be processed in those instances.

 What if I am interested in part-time teaching?

When you are completing your application form you need to indicate that you wish to apply for part-time employment.

 How do I find out which schools have teaching positions available?

Vacancies in the Primary Schools are handled by Townsville Catholic Education Office and are filled from a list of potential employees we hold. Principals have access to this list and, when a vacancy arises, will usually interview several teachers from this list before making an appointment. Teachers' names are placed on the list after they have satisfactorily completed an interview with an Education Consultant or other senior representative/s of Townsville Catholic Education Office. Teachers may approach individual Principals and advise them of their availability for work but still must go through the interview/listing process with Townsville Catholic Education Office before a Principal may offer them a position. Where necessary interviews with Townsville Catholic Education Office personnel and even with Principals may take place by telephone.

 Vacancies in the Secondary Schools are advertised on the website Vacancies section, as well as in the Townsville Bulletin or sometimes the Brisbane Courier Mail. These positions are handled by the individual schools.

 I have not completed Student Protection Training in Queensland may I still apply?

It is a requirement for all of our staff to have completed the Long Course Student Protection Training. Short course training will suffice in the first instance. You are still able to apply for positions without this, but will have to undertake this training before you can start work. We can organise this through our office.

 Can I send my application to be included in the Staffing process if I have not got all of my documentation (eg. Qld College of Teacher Registration certificate, teaching degree)?

You can still forward your application with whatever information you do have, just indicate that your teacher registration or degree is pending, and when you receive it you just need to forward onto us to complete your application.

 Are there incentives when teaching in remote areas?

Yes, we do offer incentives such as remote area payments, reduced rental, assistance with relocation costs, and in some instances accelerated long service leave, enhanced superannuation and return airfares and accommodation. Variations occur depending on the length of service in remote areas.