Vacancies for senior positions in our Diocese are usually advertised in the Saturday edition of The Australian and other newspapers as appropriate.
Advertisements are placed on the Townsville Catholic Education Office website. Copies of the advertisement are also sent to all schools within the Townsville Diocese and to every Catholic Education Office (CEO) throughout Australia. Each CEO is asked to distribute the advertisement to all schools in their system/diocese.
Intending applicants are invited to visit our website to obtain information or request an information portfolio by phoning, faxing or emailing our office.
|Phone:||(07) 4773 0946|
|Fax:||(07) 4773 0940|
This material will vary depending on the nature of the position but generally includes the following:
- A copy of the advertisement
- A role description for the position
- Selection criteria for the position
- Conditions of service (if appropriate)
- Guidelines for preparing an application
- An outline of aspects of the Catholic schooling system in the diocese
- School/parish profiles
- A standard application form
- A Reflection Document (if appropriate)
- Referee pro forma and instructions
- Child protection and privacy legislation
A standard application form is completed online via our Careers On-line Service. However, applicants are also expected to prepare their own documents which cover the areas nominated in the advertisement and respond to the selection criteria. All material included should betyped or computer generated for upload as part of your online application.
The application should include the following:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- Work and home phone numbers as well as fax, mobile and email where applicable. Home and work addresses should also be included.
- Professional qualifications. Copies of degrees, accreditations, diplomas, certificates etc must be certified by a Justice of the Peace that the original has been sighted. In no case should originals of such documents be included.
- A list of at least three referees with names, addresses and phone numbers. The list must include the present employer (or a representative of that employer) and the parish priest in the applicant's place of residence. Copies of written references should be forwarded only if they are dated within the past five years.
The application may include the following:
- A covering letter generally of not more than one page, nominating the position/s applied for. The applicant's name and address should be shown at the top of this page.
- A curriculum vitae giving all relevant personal and professional details, service record, qualifications, experience, special talents and interests etc. This should be presented in some detail but a brief summary of the information is also useful.
- A philosophy statement incorporating comment on your approach to the specific leadership role.
- A copy of any appraisal or assessment reports you have had within the past five years or so. Self evaluation documents are also useful.
- Three referee reports, one each from Religious Representative (Parish Priest) current employer and colleague. Preferably, these reports will be from the same people listed in the application.
- These should arrive from each referee in the stamped, self addressed envelope provided. They will then be added to the application.
Internal applicants should not request material to be extracted from their files and added to an application. It should be a "stand-alone" document. An exception to this guideline would be where a full application is submitted for apposition and the applicant wishes to apply for another position later in the same year. In this case the applicant could ask for the documentation submitted with the initial application to be attached to the later one.
- Applications should be lodged as soon as possible. Applicants are urged not to wait until the last minute before lodging their material.
- In circumstances where a person's full application cannot reach the CEO by the closing date deadline then a brief letter of application should be faxed or emailed to reach the CEO no later than 5.00pm on the advertisement.