STATEMENT OF POLICY
We consider sexual harassment an unacceptable form of behaviour which will not be tolerated under any circumstance.
This policy provides a clear understanding of the employer’s and employee’s obligations and responsibilities regarding sexual harassment. Under the Queensland Anti-Discrimination Act 1991, discrimination, victimisation, sexual harassment and vilification are illegal.
Sexual harassment has no place in a community in which equal opportunity for all is an objective and which espouses and promotes gospel values and respect for the individual. Sexual harassment includes any kind of behaviour that:
- targets a person’s sexuality or gender
- gains or reinforces power and dominance over that person
- is unwelcome sexual attention, and/or
- involves humiliation or offence to the victim.
With the gospel values of love, justice and reconciliation as its driving force, the Townsville Catholic Education Office will:
- Request that each workplace within Townsville Catholic Education area will appoint and support the role of Harassment Referral Officer who will undertake training on an annual basis. Each Harassment Referral Officer is publicly known and easily identified in each workplace.
- Inform all staff members of this policy and associated procedures.
- Ensure reports of sexual harassment are to be treated seriously and must be addressed in a timely manner. Typically a workplace investigation process will follow a complaint.
- Maintain Strict confidentiality for all who are involved.
- Ensure schools inform students of their rights and responsibilities.
- Take disciplinary action against anyone who is found to have engaged in sexual harassment.
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (Qld)
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Commonwealth)
- Workplace Gender Equity Act 2012 (Commonwealth)
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Commonwealth) Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Commonwealth)
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Commonwealth)
- Fair Work Act 2009 (Commonwealth)
Queensland Catholic Education Commission
- A Guide to Develop a Framework for Staff Formation in Catholic Schools in Queensland (August 2012)
- Formation for Staff Members in Catholic Schools (February 2010)
|Policy Number||DEC 03_15||Date originally accepted||May, 2012|
|Approved by||Diocesan Education Council||Date Updated||12 May, 2015|
- Download the Sexual Harassment Policy