Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to register for teaching in Queensland if I have registration in another Australian state or in another country?

If you intend moving to Queensland it would be advisable to apply for registration with the QLD College of Teachers, as this is a mandatory requirement of employment.

What are the requirements to apply for employment as a teacher with Townsville Catholic Education? 
  • Innovative, proactive and flexible approach to student learning
  • Established knowledge of, and experience in, curriculum initiatives
  • Demonstrated strong and effective communication and collaboration with students, parents and staff
  • Valid working rights to work in Australia which must be provided upon offer of employment
  • Current Queensland College of Teaching Registration or ability to obtain before commencement
How do I find out which schools have teaching positions available?

All current vacancies are available via the TCE career page here.

All recruitment processes for positions within TCE schools are centralised and facilitated via Townsville Catholic Education Office. 

How do I apply for a relief/supply teacher position?

All applications are open for application on our career page, you can also view our Supply Teaching page on our site located here.

Do I need to be already living in the region to be considered for a position?

No. We welcome applications from across Australia and internationally.

What are the Queensland College of Teachers Contact details?

Customer Service Enquiries: (07) 3377 4777

If I do not yet have my QLD College of Teachers’ Registration am I still able to register with you?

Yes. When applying, simply put ‘pending’ next to the question and confirm your eligibility to obtain.

As a teacher, do I need to have particular qualifications to teach Religious Education in a Catholic School?

To be eligible to teach Religious Education in a Catholic school, teachers need to be accredited to Teach Religion. To gain this accreditation, teachers are required to complete the equivalent of four semester units of study in areas of theology, spirituality, Catholic education or religious education.

Teachers may be eligible for provisional accreditation to teach Religious Education provided they undertake to gain full accreditation within five years of being appointed. 

If a Teacher is employed on a Full-Time Fixed Term Contract you are encouraged to complete units  of Religious Education Study but are not required until receiving a Permanent position in the Diocese.

Further information can be found on in the Accreditation to Teach section of this website.

Do I need to be accredited if I only want to do a few days supply teaching every so often?

No, not if you work as a supply teacher only (ie you are employed on an intermittent basis to relieve a teacher absent from work or to meet a short term staffing need).

Do I have to be a Catholic to teach in a Catholic School in the Townsville Diocese?

It is important to TCE that the Catholic identity and ‘ethos’ of each school is maintained. This is assisted by having as many committed Catholics as possible, however, people who are not Catholic but would support the school’s ethos by word and deed are welcome to apply for positions.

Are there incentives when teaching in remote areas? 

Yes, we do offer incentives such as allowances, rental subsidies, vacation travel assistance, additional leave and air-conditioning subsidies.