More pages in this section
Salary and Benefits
Teaching is an exciting, challenging and rewarding career, and in isolated, remote or regional communities, it can be even more rewarding. Each year we recruit energetic and committed teachers who want to make a difference in the lives of children in remote and rural communities. Rural and Remote school communities include Hughenden, Winton, Collinsville, Cloncurry, Mount Isa and Palm Island.
These schools are distinctively different from other schools in terms of:
- Location and remoteness from other major centres
- Size and logistics of school community
- Cultural, social, climatic and recreational environments.
TCE recognise that teachers locating to these schools will be required to live and work in vastly different ways to their colleagues situated in major regional centres. Because of this, financial benefits and other conditions and incentives are available to those who choose to live in rural and remote communities.
The following incentives and benefits apply only to teachers living and working in Hughenden, Winton, Collinsville, Cloncurry, Mount Isa or Palm Island.
Career Development Opportunities
Teachers in these areas have the opportunity to immerse themselves in their local community and will often have the chance to take on a school leadership role earlier in their careers than their counterparts in less remote areas.
Incentive Payments & Allowances
The Incentive Payment – Remote Area Staff Scheme (IPRASS) provides a financial bonus for teachers who work in our more isolated schools. The table below outlines the applicable payments. Half is paid in June and half is paid in December.
|Collinsville||Mount Isa||Cloncurry||Hughenden / Winton||Palm Island|
|Year 7 & subsequent years||$1,000||$2,750||$2,750||$1,750||$2,500|
Additional Leave Days
Travel days - Teachers in Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Hughenden, Winton and Collinsville are given 2 extra travel leave days annually, in addition to regular designated school holidays. Palm Island teachers receive a generous allowance to come to the mainland each term.
Emergent Leave Days
Non-cumulative days will be available each year as follows:
- Mount Isa - 4 additional leave days per year
- Hughenden, Cloncurry, Winton & Palm Island - 5 additional leave days per year
- Collinsville - 2 additional leave days per year
Emergent Leave Days may be used to travel to a more focused regional centre to attend both urgent and non-urgent personal, medical or legal appointments that cannot be conducted in the remote area location.
Travel Assistance at Christmas Break
As long as you have completed one year of service and are planning to return to the school you will be provided with travel assistance to Townsville or Brisbane (or an equivalent payment if you choose to travel elsewhere).
Additional Well-being Travel Incentive
The intent of the additional well-being travel is to provide teachers, new to a rural and remote school communities (IPRASS location), with a chance to reconnect with family and friends within a relatively short time of commencing their role in a remote location.
Acknowledging that adjustment can be difficult in a new and remote location the additional well-being travel is intended to facilitate travel ‘home’ or alternatively a trip away from the IPRASS location to promote connectivity with friends and/or family.
This incentive is available to teachers employed 12 months or more, in their 1st and 2nd years in Hughenden, Winton, Cloncurry, Mount Isa and Collinsville.
- A reimbursement of up to $1,200 to subsidise the cost of travel (Air (standard economy), Rail or Road) to any major regional or metropolitan centre within Australia. Supporting documentation will be required. Travel must be taken during vacation time (Term 1 or 2).
TCE will assist teachers moving to isolated, rural and remote communities with relocation costs up to:
- $3,000 for single teachers and relocation of a vehicle
- Up to a maximum of $6,000 for families (spouse and children) and relocation of a vehicle
Additionally, travel to commence the new teaching position will be provided.
Teacher Accommodation Assistance
Eligible teaching staff may access one of the following:
- Employer provided accommodation (as available in some centres)
- An annual accommodation allowance along with the option to salary package remaining rental accommodation costs (where a private tenancy arrangement is preferred by the teacher)
- An annual accommodation allowance along with the option to salary package remaining mortgage costs (where a teacher has purchased their own accommodation)
- Employee payment of 75% of market rental for only 47 weeks per year along with the facility to salary package rental expenses (where a teacher agrees to reside in accommodation provided by TCEO).
Please note: In keeping with the “Teacher Code of Conduct” TCE does not promote cohabitation by unmarried “partners”. Requests by couples in such a relationship for shared accommodation in TCE owned or leased accommodation will not be met.
Graduate Teacher Start up Assistance
Your first 5 weeks of rent is free if you are a beginning teacher in your first year of appointment.
Air-conditioning Partial Reimbursement
$350 will be paid to teachers to assist with electricity expenses incurred by the running of air conditioners ($175 paid in Term 1 and $175 in Term 4).
You can apply for financial assistance to help with the cost of relevant postgraduate studies at an approved educational institution.
Primary Schools - When a full-time primary teacher (with a continuing contract) completes at least 2 years of service in a remote location, they will receive priority transfers to any other school in the Diocese subject to vacancies.
Secondary Schools - No intra-system transfer exists amongst TCE Secondary Colleges. However, TCE will ensure teachers in remote area secondary schools receive a suitability interview if their subjects are suitable to the recruiting school and applications are made in due time.
Interested in relocating to a regional location?
Have a look at our regional fact sheets for Teachers working in the specified areas below: